Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tigers Jaw Interview

First of all, thank you for doing this. 


What is your name and what do you do in the band?

Thanks for asking us! My name is Patrick and I play the drums.

How did you get into Punk Rock and what was your first show that you attended if you can remember?

I got into punk rock thanks to friends, and the area that I grew up in. My first show was third eye blind when I was nine years old. I was about two hundred yards from the stage, however, and didn't get to stay for "God of Wine". Lots of weed smoke. 

How did Tigers Jaw come about?

Adam started the band in around 2005, with Ben joining very shortly after. We all eventually came together after becoming friends. Dennis and I are brothers, so we joined at the same time. We have all been together since around 2007. 

What are some influences that support Tigers Jaw material?

I guess there are a lot of influences. Different bands/recording artists, television, and the area that we area all from. Our friends...Our friends play a big part in our lives, and are constantly shaping the way we live. So, I guess I would say more than anything, music and friends shape who we are, and therefore, the band that we are all in.



Did you guys, as a band, think that you would get this much support/following?

I don't think any of us anticipated anything, really. We are all just pretty thrilled that people enjoy what we do. But no, everything and everyone that we have been introduced to because of Tigers Jaw has been unanticipated, I would say. We've made some great friends through being a band. One, in fact, is sitting in the room above me. His name is Russell Edling. Look him up!

You guys recently went on a tour with End Of A Year in Europe. What were the high and lows of that tour?

I wouldn't say that there were any lows, at all. Some of the highs for me were meeting new, friendly and interesting people, drinking different types of beer, spending lots of time with my friends, and getting to play nearly every night. It was a really great time. Just the fact that we were in the UK was crazy enough. I would like to go back as soon as we can...

Recently, you guys released "Two Worlds" off of Run For Cover Records. How is it working with everyone at RFC?

Run For Cover is run by one of our best friends, Jeff. We're happy with all that we've done with him. He really just puts out our records, and lets us do whatever we want, in terms of creative control, etc. So, I don't think it could get any better than that...He has us stay over at his place every time that we are in the Boston area, as well. I had a nice birthday there recently, and then Jeff sat on my cake and fucked everything up. 

There is a lot of positive lyrics through "Two Worlds", but there also seem to be some struggles that someone had to deal with. What influenced the lyrics on this record?

Adam, Ben and Dennis wrote the words for this album, so I can't speak for them right now. "chumbawumb" is definitely one of Dennis' major influences. 

What are the touring plans for Tigers Jaw in the spring/summer?

As of now, we will be playing as often as we can on weekends, and over school breaks. We are all in school, and find that finding time to tour is pretty difficult. Check our website, tigersjaw.tumblr.com, for updates on shows that we will be playing, and things that we feel are worth posting. Not that things that we do not post are unimportant. (whet)

Any new releases that you guys will be releasing this spring/summer?

We just did a weekend with O, Pioneers!!! and talked a lot about putting out a split with them. I really love Eric and his band, so to do a split with him would be an honor. So, I believe that the split may be our next release. Keep an ear to the ground for that, however...it is a work in progress at the moment. 

Thanks for your time. Anything else you would like to say? 

Nope, I think that is it. Thanks again for asking us to do this! 


Band links:

No comments:

Post a Comment